The History House

Based at the edge of the Nant Ffrancon Valley in Snowdonia, The History House provides a genealogical and family history research service. It has also conducted extensive research on the heritage of the Bethesda area and the history of mountain walking and climbing in Snowdonia.

The History House is led by Dr Hazel Pierce, a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and an Associate of AGRA (Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives).

Website of The History House


HiPoints collection
Grave of Edna Pritchard, Menai Bridge - inherited a fortune but died in 1935 in Snowdonia while walking with Oxford University friends
Grave of medical students, Capel Curig - roped together, Alfred Bradford & Edward Latham died in 1937 in a fall above Cwm Idwal
Douglas Arms Hotel, Bethesda - on Telford's Holyhead-London coach road. Proprietor in 1850s was a former Inland Revenue officer
The Bull Inn, Bethesda - the landlord killed himself on the premises in 1862 after being cuckolded
Old police station, Bethesda - a local butcher locked up his wife here in 1906 for drunkenness, to Sergeant Rowlands' astonishment
The Victoria Hotel, Bethesda - one wing wrecked by lightning in 1893, then windows smashed by striking quarryment in 1902
The Llangollen Vaults, Bethesda - licensee's thirst for speeding in his horse-drawn "car" ultimately caused his death in 1901
Christ Church, Bethesda - vicar and residents wrangled over burial fees in 1875. Gas explosion in 1806 damaged windows and floors
Quarry bugler sculpture, Bethesda - depicts Hugh Llechid Williams sounding the warning before blasting at Penrhyn Quarry